My web design philosophy
I think a lot of current web design has lost clarity, and is undertaken to show off technical prowess at the expense of usable experiences. It shouldn’t be like this.
My overall approach could be summed up in these thoughts:
- Design for simplicity, robustness and universal accessibility
- Put user needs before developer needs
- Build with progressive enhancement
- Solve only your current problems
- Don’t use technology for its own sake
I am most happy when working on user-focused projects that put users first and the technology second. If you share the same views and have a project that I can help you with, you can hire me here.
Skills and Experience
Since 1997 I’ve occupied many roles in web design, including designer, front-end developer, CMS wrangler, team leader and project manager. However user-interface design and front-end development remain my core skills and that which I most enjoy.
I’m extremely experienced as a web-designer and front-end developer. In every project I focus on strong utility, universal accessibility and clarity of design. Whether the project is corporate clean, or highly artistic and textured, I apply my high standards of craftsmanship equally.
If you’re interested, I wrote a meandering tale of my entire digital career.
- Highly experienced collaborating with UX designers, in both waterfall and agile environments
- User Interface (UI) design: features and functionality, interaction design, look and feel
- Long experience in design software, including over 20 years in PhotoShop, and more recently Sketch and Affinity Designer
- Designing in the browser directly in HTML/CSS (this site was designed and built that way)
- 20 years experience writing HTML and CSS to high standards of utility and accessibility
- Excellent knowledge of BEM, OOCSS and other front-end coding methodologies
- Excellent knowledge of Sass
- Familiar with Ruby and HAML
- Familiar with Gulp and Grunt and build processes in general (although I prefer visual tools where possible such as Codekit or Prepros)
- Good knowledge of Git version control, including feature branches, history rewrites, and the ‘telling a story’ approach to writing commits
- Highly experienced in WordPress : converting HTML to fully functional themes and building efficient client-facing UI using the ACF plugin (Advanced Custom Fields)
- Experienced in Craft CMS and still learning (this very site is built with it)