I’ve occupied many roles in web design, including designer, front-end developer, CMS developer, team leader and project manager. However user-interface design and front-end development remain my core skills and that which I most enjoy.
In every project I focus on strong utility, universal accessibility and clarity of design. Whether the project is corporate clean, or highly artistic and textured, I apply my high standards of craftsmanship equally.
For a detailed look at my experience, please take a look at my career.
- Collaborating with UX designers, in both waterfall and agile environments
- User Interface (UI) design: features and functionality, interaction design, look and feel
- Long experience in visual design software, including over 20 years in PhotoShop, and more recently Sketch and Affinity Designer
- Familiar with prototyping software including Axure, InVision and Figma
- Love designing in the browser using HTML/CSS (this site was designed and built that way)
- 20 years experience writing HTML and CSS to high standards of utility and accessibility
- Excellent knowledge of BEM, OOCSS and other front-end coding methodologies
- Excellent knowledge of Sass
- Familiar with Gulp and Grunt and build processes in general (although I prefer visual tools where possible such as Codekit or Prepros)
- Good knowledge of Git version control, including feature branches, history rewrites, and the telling a story approach to writing commits
- Highly experienced in WordPress : converting HTML to fully functional themes and building an efficient client-facing user interface
- Experienced in Craft CMS and still learning: this very site is built with it
Don’t hire me if…
- Your project uses a third-party front-end framework such as Bootstrap or Foundation. My strength is in building a robust and focused front-end for your project’s specific requirements; frameworks aren’t intended for that.