As a front-end developer at FutureLearn my responsibilities included:
- Collaborating with designers and developers to create the features and functionality required by our learners and partners.
- Thinking in modular terms about our code and how to write code that is readable and intuitive to non front-end developers.
- Applying best practices to the creation of new atomic patterns in the FutureLearn pattern library, and maintaining it according to ongoing requirements.
- Writing HAML, Sass and jQuery to build the front-end of both the learner app and the partner content management system.
- Working extensively with Git in a fast moving, highly collaborative development environment.
- Refactoring existing code to improve efficiency and clean up technical debt, for example removing Bootstrap from the CMS which was no longer compatible with the FutureLearn modular pattern library.
- Hiring of new staff, including CV screening, running technical interviews and helping to choose candidates after interview.